Sunday, June 10, 2007

Introduction

First off, thank you for taking the time out of your life to read this.

I am starting this blog for my friends and me. We are battle-tested, die-hard sports fans (Yankees, Mets, Jets, Giants, Knicks Nets, Pistons, etc.) who aren’t band wagon jumpers. Mind you, we’re not truly dedicated like, um, lets say face-painters, but we know and love our sports. If you have a bottle of Brugal or Bacardi rum and some Coca-Cola lying around, we can talk/yell passionately about anything, and we’ll actually know a little bit about what we’re talking about to boot…at least from time to time. Just please don’t catch us on a day when one of us is alleging that Lebron still isn’t as good as Grant Hill was, it could get ugly up in this piece.

As I sit before my keyboard listening to “All for one” by Brand Nubian, I can’t think how appropriate this song is for this blog: I love my friends, and I feel as though we actually carry intelligent conversations with one another. Well, that’s debatable when we’re arguing about who best portrayed Batman (until Christian Bale that is). Subsequently, I hope that this blog allows others to partake in our debates/convos/heated discussions about everything: Sports, Literature, Music (mostly hip-hop), Movies, and Politics and just about everything else under the sky. For the most part we will stick to sports, but we usually look at sports with an eye toward the “Big Picture” and how sports is impacted by the way the media covers it and how, in turn, the media is affected by the dreaded taboo: Race. We’re not fist pumping, big afro, dashiki wearing black nationalists wishing for a revolution, but we know that race affects things around us and we don’t pretend that it doesn’t like many mainstream media outlets.

We are children of the 80’s, mostly hailing from Brooklyn, New York. As the great KRS-One once said, “Brooklyn keeps on takin’it”. I was born and raised in Brooklyn but my parents were born in South America. My friends are a great mix of Latino, Black, White, Jewish, etc. But we have similar values and I, for one, am never afraid to use them as my faithful sounding board. Use us. We are tekkie geeks, literary geeks (a few aspiring writers, check out www.everythingbutthefiction.blogspot.com , my friend Drews’ blog on the New Yorker magazine), artists (go to natmeade.com, for my friend Nat’s artwork. He’s a great painter who also happened to be a Division 1 Left Tackle for Boise State), comic book aficionados, movie buffs and music critics. We might be able to answer a question you have or, ask the question that hasn’t been asked yet.

There will be the occasional article, or even interview with a person of interest on sports or any of the other topics that I listed above, but mostly, there will be opinions, a smattering of facts and a little community thrown in for good measure. Give us a shot, you might like us. On the other hand, if you step up to the plate with a weak comment/question/retort about MLB, the NFL or the NBA, you might get snuffed!

Join the cypher! It’s all love!

No comments:


KudoSurf Me!