Friday, August 31, 2007

Last Piece on Vick (I think. At least for a while?)

I believe that part of the reason this story received so much coverage, is that this case of a superstar gone crazy really hit America in the gut. It hit America in the gut the same way child molestation, mass murders, deaths via natural catastrophes hit--low and with a considerable amount of force.

Originally, I wasn't sure how to approach the Michael Vick saga in this post--as I stated in an earlier post I thought he would pay someone off to take most of the blame, he would cop to something minor (i.e. a character flaw, not an illegal act; e.g. "I trust my friends too much") and head to training camp. I underestimated the evidence and the coercive abilities of the Feds in that regard-they got the others to roll and House of Vick came tumbling down.

There were several issues that were addressed in this post so I'll try to give my take for each the best I can because as much as I thought this was over with in my head, your insights brought some things to light (thank you all again for taking me out of the mundane and helping/forcing me to think about myself):


Michael Vick is an evil bastard and/or an idiot.



A young Black man from the projects uses what God gave him and through hard work, a strong spirit and probably great support from the adults around him, makes it to the big time-and then he fucks it up. He's not the first and won't be the last but, knowing that doesn't take the pain away. Every time this happens I can hear a racist saying "You see: you can't give them folk money." I said it before and I'll say it again-more has to be done at the college level to prepare student athletes for the responsibilities and challenges they will encounter in the world of professional sports. I'm sure they have mentoring programs in place and I'm sure there are athletes who will not pay any attention to those programs but I believe more can and should be done.

Ultimately, however, we must blame the man himself. He never had a need to do this-even if he had been doing this for years he could have (should have) stopped. There is a certain degree of arrogance that is necessary to be a professional athlete-the idea you can get the 3 pointer at the buzzer, the kick from 60 yards out, or the home-run in the bottom of the 9th-it is what makes players champions. That arrogance has been getting celebrity athletes in trouble for years and it certainly did here. This is a classic case of it’s only wrong if I get caught. You are a sucker if you believe his apology. You don’t go from drowning and electrocuting dogs to “I found God” in a couple of weeks unless your lawyer tells you to. Do I want to believe he’s sincere? Yes, absolutely. Do I? Hell no. Let this man serve the time for the crime he committed before we talk about his comeback and redemption. When he gets out he can show me he how much he changed and then I’ll see if I will consider watching a game he’s in. It hurts to see a talented Black man and alleged role model go down like this but we can’t let reprehensible acts go unpunished. If he is sick ( i.e was abused himself) and has psychological issues they should be dealt with somehow. Unfortunately, all I see here is a dude bankrolling his homies’ mistreatment of animals.



Hunting/Dog fighting



I want to address this quickly. It should be needless to say: Hunting is not dog fighting. Dog fighting is not hunting. There is no comparison. There are similarities but comparing them is futile. In my opinion, neither is a sport, nor should it be. Sports are governed by a common set of rules for all competing parties. I have never seen an animal arguing rules. Do other sports use animals? Yes. Are horse racing, dog racing, other equestrian events, considered sports: yes. Should they be, no-- not unless the animals agree in writing. Dre, I agree with most of what you say and caution you not to fall into Lou’s traps. Half the stuff he says is just to irk you, I hope. Lou, I do agree however, hunting with anything but your teeth is unfair- that’s why I go to the supermarket instead, it’s easier.



Immoral vs. Illegal



As Mikha mentioned, there is definitely intense outrage over this which originates in our sense of responsibility over other living creatures, especially those we deem as unable to care for themselves. This sense of responsibility was introduced in the Bible when God put us in charge (he should have thought twice about that one, although Noah did do a good job). The idea has evolved into several philosophical strings each tied somewhere down the line to notions of human/animal rights. Peter Singer has several fascinating theories about morality and the equal consideration of interests and Richard Ryder first coined the term Speciesism in the early 70s in an attempt give animals an “ism” with which to fight back with. So far non-human animals have not organized an “Animal Pride” parade down 5th Ave but many groups are out there fighting for animal rights. That’s why they have pets, right, huh?

Anyway…America loves pets. Even broke ass people have pets in this country. They dress them too. Broke ass people dress their pets in this country. Ain’t that a bitch. Literally, sometimes. She’s wasn’t broke but Leona Helmsley’s bitch just got 12 million in the will-the NY Post’s headline: Rich Bitch. These are the type of people asking for Vick’s castration-the fact they were mostly White and did it in front of a Confederate Flag (the State keeps there) makes it seem racist in light of the coverage but I doubt most people who put together a group to fight for animal rights think about race implications in that context. Their focus was to bring attention to the suffering of the animals. They succeeded. Besides Bill Maher likes throwing race into everything just to see what happens. He is also an extreme animal rights activist and probably just wanted to send the message to more folk.

In any case, I too felt the outrage associated with Vick’s no-longer “alleged” actions. But I caution folk to parallel our own morals and with his. He should be punished because we understand what he did is illegal and his socio-economic status put him in a position to stop what he was doing. He also should have been counseled (maybe he was) to move his acquaintances away from their activities through the resources he has at his disposal. However, the immorality of the activity, in and of itself, should be viewed with more careful eyes. We all engage in activities that others may deem morally reprehensible and are sometimes illegal.

Every time you have oral or anal sex you piss off half the nation and Jesus cries. Every time a person lights a spliff, views a Pay Per View program without paying, or buys a DVD player, computer or Plasma TV from the back of a truck there is an implicit cooperation with the originator of the crime. And this is usually where people mention victimless crimes. Most crimes are not victimless, maybe jaywalking, but most are not. In fact, we have all seen enough episodes of The Wire, The Sopranos and seen enough in our own experience that we know the activities that many of these convenience crimes originate from are rooted in much more reprehensible acts than are visible from our living rooms (i.e. murder, extortion, etc.). In addition, every time we enjoy a burger or veal or chicken we don’t assume it died of old age. We KNOW it was killed so you can enjoy it. This is not to say that we are all without morals and that you shouldn’t bitch about dog fighting unless you are vegan. My point is basically that different morals apply in different situations and that universal morals should be applied with great caution. Had Vick not been Vick the superstar we would have less expectations of his moral standing. We expected Vick to be an upstanding citizen, he simply wasn’t. He disappointed us. For instance, would we be as angry at Vick if he was bashing pigs over the head with sledgehammers so he could make Bad Newz Bacon? Are we simply angry because dogs have personality? Do you remember the following dialogue from Pulp Fiction:


[VINCENT]: You want some bacon?


[JULES]: No, man, I don't eat pork.


[VINCENT]: Are you Jewish ?


[JULES]: No, I ain't Jewish, i just don't dig on swine, that's all.


[VINCENT]: Why not?


[JULES]: Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals.


[VINCENT]: But bacon tastes good, pork chops taste good...


[JULES]: Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie,

But I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfuckers.

Pigs sleep and root in shit, that's a filthy animal.

I don't eat nothin' that ain't got sense enough to disregard its own feces.


[VINCENT]: How about a dog? A dog eats its own feces


[JULES]: I don't eat dog either


[VINCENT]: Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?


[JULES]: I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy, but it's definitely dirty.

But, dogs got personality, personality goes a long way.


[VINCENT]: So by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?


[JULES]: We' have to be talkin' 'bout one charmin' motherfuckin' pig.

I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?

I think we should focus on Vick’s actions through the legal system, not a moral system. We all know America has a pretty twisted moral system. It is this that allows me to say he deserves an opportunity at redemption. He can come around on the moral stuff, he already did the illegal stuff.


America is a (racist) (hypocritical) rubber-necker.


Some people tuned in hoping to see the survivor walk out, others just wanting to watch the train wreck catch more fire. In either case people watched. I believe one reason people watched, blogged, read, was that Michael Vick epitomized the American Dream. Americans hold that dream near and dear and whenever something is about to wake us up from it we try to get deeper into it, as if we can control it. In this case it became a nightmare we should be glad we awoke from.

The coverage of this event was thorough but I can not state with conviction that it felt racist, not by design at least. I think Is’ take on it is on point. As I indicated above, America got hit hard, Michael Jackson-little boy hard, with this. Vick was on a high pedestal and that made the fall that much longer, his over-inflated ego probably kept it suspended that much more. America was built on the back of oppression and the profits of that oppression still control most of the power (via money & information). Racist attitudes continue to permeate society in medicine, employment, and education among other areas. Media is no different but in this case the demonization of Michael Vick came via his actions. As mentioned previously, people feel dogs have personality and personality goes a long way.

By special Bushwick correspondent: Ernesto Malave Jr.

11 comments:

Luis M. Espinoza said...

Great piece Ernie. Thank God - or whatever other presence you believe in - for Fridays. Right?

I really wasn't goading Dre. Please re-read everything. He even went as far as to quote something from my original piece as if I wrote it about him. He has issues and should seek professional help. I am not alone in this belief. And no, it's not the government Dre. Relax.

I would like to respond to a couple of the things you touched on:

Of course Vick deserves to be punished. There is no doubt about that. It's like saying everyone has an bunghole. There really won't be people raising their hands to say they don't (I apologize in advance if anyone who read this was born without a butthole). We all agree that the guy did something immoral and illegal. However, I wanted to look at it a little deeper. Why is it illegal? That was part of my motivation for writing what I did. You bring up a great point when you write, "the immorality of the activity, in and of itself, should be viewed with more careful eyes. We all engage in activities that others may deem morally reprehensible and are sometimes illegal.". I really believe that to be true. Far too many times the media, our government, etc, tries to bash you over the head with their own morals, even if they are doing worse behind closed doors. And most times with this administration, out in the open.

And its kind of hard to separate immorality from illegality. Laws, originally, were based on immoral acts. It was the only way to have a "civilized" society. Since then however, laws have been created to protect the economic interests of the people creating laws. That is really what is at the crux of this case. The illegal gambling aspect of it. Let us not be naive enough to think that our government is appalled at the immoral behavior that is dogfighting. This is about the money that is being passed between people at these fight houses and the government can't collect the taxes from it. Thats it. If the government was so concerned about the welfare of animals, maybe that would in turn translate into better treatment of humans.

Initially, the comparison between dog fighting and hunting was just from the "sport" aspect of it. It really goes without saying that one is legal while the other isn't. The hypocrisy - that I found in the coverage - was how legal experts were stating that Vick was going to get the book thrown at him because the Judge was such an avid sportsman. Nothing else had to be said either. Not, "He really loves to hunt because he has such respect for animals". Just sportsman. Everyone knew what they were referring to.

You know you used to have a pet that wore a sweater. You're lying if didn't. Now stop. As far as animal activists thinking of race implications, I shouldn't have to tell you about this: they don't have to. White people do not have to think about racism. Why should they? It doesn't affect them systematically. Do you ever think to yourself, "Damn. This bodega is not wheelchair friendly. A-holes.". No. Neither do I. White privilege is a hell of a drug. I agree with you in that the coverage of Vick wasn't racist by design, but do you numbnuts really think I believe that the head of CBS is having lunch with "The Man" somewhere planning out how to make, "Them mud people look worse with our powers over the media?". How paranoid do you people think I am? As much as Dre? Puh-leeze. And thats part of what I have been going on about.

As far as Vick's apology, would you have confessed before you had to? I know you haven't always done EVERYTHING by the letter of the law. If you bought a "hot" Walkman (trademark) back in '84, if a cop asked if it was hot, would you have immediately confessed? "Yes officer. I bought this off of Chico behind that handicap-ist bodega. I broke the law. BTW, you shouldn't buy stuff from there, they handicap-ist". It is a great visual. Maybe Vicks apology wasn't completely sincere. He probably may not think that what he did was all that bad. From the culture where he grew up, it isn't deemed as immoral as much as us Liberal snobs do. I brought in the issue of women's rights here because I hate the fact that these athletes don't get in trouble for beating or sexually assaulting women and they don't catch us much flack for it. Black or White. I would have brought it up even if it weren't Vick.

As far as it not being "god-like" to abusing dogs, dont get my started with the hypocrisies of religious peoples actions. A lot of very religious people engage in less than god-like behavior and think its ok because they go to church (or wherever) on Sunday.

One other point, I don't agree with you that Vick is the American Dream. He got there because of a gift that makes him a target also. I know it sounds crazy, but its my opinion. He has advantages in sports that others dont. He was born with such an incredible amount of athletic ability, people are jealous. He didn't become a multi-multi-millionaire by pulling himself up by his own "bootstraps", he did it because of his natural abilities. I've actually heard this type of commenting from a relative-in-law. The jealousy and the hate just ooze out of this guy for guys like Vick. "I had to work so hard to do a finger roll and this guy walks onto the court and dunks. Eff him." Its true.

Lastly, great point about college athletes needing to get workshops or something along those lines to help them help themselves. And great points in general. If we were stuck on a mountain together, I wouldn't cut you up and eat you, you got way too much personality.

Andre said...

seriously, Lou... get over yourself.

Andre said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Andre said...

Lou, I've sought help. I'll give you the number. It worked wonders. They said we should move on from this Michael Vick controversy. If you haven't noticed, the media has let it go... for now.

Anonymous said...

Luis -

I think the most interesting part of this piece is the point you make regarding racism and the way this plays out. I think you nailed it - that and the bullshit American morality that shows up as we watch others crash and burn. America loves to shake its collective head and wonder 'how could it be?' when something like this happens. What's remarkable is the extent to which we pretend that we are totally unaware of the way that our collective lack of morality plays out and sets this up. We kill in the name of religion, destroy countries, attack people for their beliefs, ignore (as much as possible) the poor, hungry, sick and needy. So, when people act out shit on dogs, we should be morally surprised?!?! Gimme a break. We can be appalled from a legal standpoint and hold him accountable, but really: even football is part of this. Its a game involving watching human beings destroy their bodies for money and gambling. We all know it. Every older lineman, linebackers, etc will tell you - they are never the same...

OK - this rant wandered, but just wanted to say nice job nailing it.

J

Unknown said...

Ive been following this blog pretty closely since I finally gave it a read, and I think there is a lot of valuable insight. Its like being able to watch the news on Iraq from Saudi Arabia's perspective.

I think that the best comment here is that about a solution.

"Lastly, great point about college athletes needing to get workshops or something along those lines to help them help themselves."

Pro athletes come out of college and can hardly read, this is something that needs to be fixed, and hopefully someone with a vioce reaching beyond "join the cypher" will bring it up.

Don't Believe the Hype said...

Can we move on to another topic? You racist bastards! Some of us did play ball on Saturday, lets talk about how old Israel Rosario looked on the court, and yes I did use his whole Government thank you very much.

Edwin said...

Think about this:

On a dalily basis the government kills (humanely) more dogs than Michael Vick and he's friends could have in the whole time they were running their dog fighting operation. They call it pet population control.

Where are the animal rights activits' outrage for that?

And that's one to grow on.

Luis M. Espinoza said...

Dearest, Dont Believe the Hype:

Honestly, you don't have to go to a basketball court to get a sense of how old Israel looks. He's just old and looks it. Sorry to say. At least I lok younger than him. Drew knows that his taste in hip-hop is strictly old skool. Actually its not Drew. Lil' Wayne just sucks.

And Ed, i'm not sure if thats one to grow on, but, it is a point.

Anonymous said...

Don't believe the Hype and Lou,

I look old? Is that so? Women seem to disagree. I guess only the envious, castrated males in this group think so. As a birthday present for you, I'll let you think that you look younger than me, Lou. That potruding belly and hairy extremities say otherwise, though, but I know turning 36 can be hard on any man, even half a man.

Don't believe... I think is Denny but not sure. If so, same thing goes for you. As for looking old on the court, maybe just maybe we would've won that first game if you hadn't been too tired to make a couple of wide open layups but we'll keep that between me, you and the millions of other people on the world wide web.

Ed, animal population control is a big issue outside of NYC. It can definitely cause a big public hazard if left unchecked. It can't be compared to dog fighting; it's apples and oranges, man. Also, I'm not sure what you mean when you say "the government." Animal population control doesn't fall under federal oversight. Usually counties and local governments are responsible for their animal population. When I was in Maricopa County (AZ), I did a management report for the dept of Animal Care & Control and I can definitely say that they do all they can to have animals adopted, spayed and nuetered as an alternative to euthanization. In fact, many card-carrying animal lovers work for Animal Care & Control and have helped to institute humane policies and procedures, including education and awareness.

Ernesto Malave Jr. said...

Back to V(pr)ick:
http://news.yahoo.com/comics/uclickcomics/20070907/cx_po_uc/po20070907


KudoSurf Me!