Thursday, August 30, 2007

Kanye West

I guess Vick isn’t enough, because I feel the need to deconstruct another black guy. In Kanye West’s recent album listening party, which MTV covered, he talks of his album as one of the top ten hip hop albums ever. He lectures about the songs like a professor would literature, saying rappers are like modern day preachers. The sad thing is, I bet he is right about his album too. He probably has made a great one, but something about this guy annoys me to no end.

I mean, for real, his music is hot but this guy is comparing particular songs to ones by U2. This is interesting, but the thing is: Why does he have to say it? Its like he creates the buzz about himself through his own hype machine. I know a lot of artists do this, but I think he does to an unprecedented extent. He craves attention. I like for artists to be free and open with the media, but it is whole other thing to be completely plugged into your image, trying to control it, reacting to everything said about you. It’s like he is telling you how great he is, while at the same time, whining because he doesn’t win all the awards and everyone doesnt universally love him. People hated the end of the Sopranos at first, and David Chase said nothing. He didn’t feel the need to explain himself, and people have generally come around to fully acknowledge the depth of it. It’s like Kanye is so arrogant yet so obviously insecure; one almost feels sorry for him. He will never be loved like Caesar, like he wants and needs. Some people will dislike him, simply for the reason that he self-aggrandizes himself to such a grand extent. The fucking album hasn’t come out yet, and he is claiming he just made one of the best albums ever! And with all his noise, a fan feels little room for praise. What can I say to top that? I actually like his music and what he brings to hip hop, but the guy is too self-obsessed for me to take seriously. And I want too. Its like he wants to be multifaceted but it feels like he really spends most of his time focused on himself and what others say about him.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

"but something about this guy annoys me to no end"

Yea, me too. Id say its the fact that he has been acting like he is the best thing since sliced butter, and he's not. Sure he is good, and I like his sound(albeit a releatively common one nowadays) The guy is forgetting that artists like Nas have established themselvs much more yet are not as outspoken and annoying as Kayne, and never were.

Luis M. Espinoza said...

Wow. I knew I missed you for a reason Gary. "Sliced Butter"? Is that a phenomenon that only occurs in Buffalo?

Im sorry to contradict you guys but, this is hip-hop. You know that MC's basically boast all the time right? I don't if it would be useful to quote lines from other MC's doing so. Just trust me, they do.

The guy that seems like he's really insecure - to me - would be 50 Cent. Did anyone hear his rant about West? "I didn't get one trophy for The Massacre. I don't get trophies, I get checks. He gets the trophies. And I'll be sitting here like, 'It's cool 'cause I get the check.'"

BTW, Kanye has won 6 Grammy's so far. He does get the critical acclaim that 50 craves. 50 has sold more than him though. But now 50 has gone so far as to say that he'll quit his career as a performer if Kanye sells more albums than him. Please everyone buy Kanye's album.

Anonymous said...

I hear what you're saying about Kanye. The kid is immensely talented from a music production AND lyrical standpoint but he does seem to toot his horn a little too loudly. I remember seeing his reaction to not receiving the video of the year award this past year at the MTV video awards. They guy acted like a complete child. He actually went up on stage and criticized the selection process...while the winners were in the process of receiving their awards. It's things like that which make him a difficult personality to swallow. I simply don't pay attention to things he says outside of the recording booth. It's too bad because I think he could be a voice for something if he stepped away from the narcism. But, hey, he's only a rapper, right?

Luis M. Espinoza said...

Wow. I didn't realize that Kanye said that. Thats funny. BIG headed, but funny. I take back some of my Kanye commentary, but I still think that 50 is worse in terms of being insecure. Sorry to disagree with you Dre. I just hope that Kanye outsells him and 50 does indeed retire from performing.

Andre said...

Those white venetian blind glasses he's been wearing are perfect for his annoying ass. AND he messed up a perfectly good Common song (Southside).


KudoSurf Me!